Enactus Emerging Leader Award in Honor of Manly Molpus
This scholarship honors the service of Manly Molpus who was a trusted and experienced advisor for the Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industry. He served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) from 1990-2006 and as Interim CEO in 2008. Manly was a long-time advocate of Enactus, played a very active role judging competitions, and encouraged GMA member companies to recruit potential employees from their ranks.
Manly was the CEO at a time of tremendous change in the industry and in the country. It was a time when corporate leadership was respected and increasingly sought after as an integral part of advancing societal goals as well as business goals - the rise of what is now called corporate social responsibility and most recently promoting “shared values” as the normal course of business. As a leader, Manly embraced these trends and helped GMA member companies navigate a rapidly changing environment with a particular focus on the young - embracing their dreams and helping provide them opportunities to grow and succeed.
To recognize an Enactus student who demonstrates leadership and exhibits the potential to make significant contributions to the Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industry.
The recipient of this award will receive:
- $5,000 scholarship award for educational purposes
- Opportunity to attend and be recognized at the annual Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) Leadership Forum
- Paid summer internship at the GMA headquarters in Washington, D.C.
In addition, the recipient’s Enactus team will receive:
- $1,000 project grant
Internship & Award Travel
This internship is an exciting opportunity to work with GMA staff and a chance to network with CPG industry leaders.
- The paid internship is 8 weeks and traditionally starts late May
- The recipient is responsible for relocation and housing costs - GMA may assist in identifying housing options
- Enactus will cover the recipient's travel expenses to and from the GMA Leadership Forum
- The recipient will serve as a GMA staff member during the Leadership Forum
A qualified applicant must be:
- An Enactus team active member during the application year
- At least a junior in credit hours at a U.S. college or university
- Interested in pursuing a career in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry
- Able to fulfill a summer internship at GMA Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Applicants will be evaluated based on how effectively they were able to unite their team around a shared purpose. Students should also share examples of how their leadership has elevated the performance of fellow team members and the overall impact achieved by the team. "Leadership" refers to students who have taken on additional responsibilities - not just executive team members.
- A 6,000 character maximum essay addressing the following questions:
- How did you encourage your team to unite around a common goal to elevate performance and overall impact? Please provide examples.
- How did Enactus develop your leadership skills and impact your life?
- What do you hope to gain through a Grocery Manufacturers Association internship? Why are you interested in the CPG industry?
- Two letters of reference (one page maximum per letter), one from your Enactus Faculty Advisor and one from a fellow teammate, addressing the following question:
- How did the applicant encourage your team to unite around a common goal to elevate performance and overall impact? Please provide examples.
Online Application Open: September 15, 2017
Application Deadline: January 22, 2018
Recipient Notification: April 15, 2018
GMA staff and at least two Enactus board members will review the applications and select the recipient.