Enactus Emerging Leader Award presented in honor of Manly Molpus
To recognize a university student who has demonstrated leadership abilities through their participation on an Enactus team and who exhibits the potential to make significant contributions to the consumer packaged goods industry.*
* Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) refers to any product that is intended to be used and replaced in a short period of time. Products include toiletries, paper products, food and beverages, and personal care and beauty items. The CPG industry offers jobs in supply chain management, sales, marketing, management, and more.
The recipient of this award will receive:
- $5,000 scholarship award to be used for educational purposes
- Opportunity to attend and be recognized at the annual Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA)** Leadership Forum***
- Paid summer internship at the GMA headquarters in Washington, D.C.
In addition, the recipient’s Enactus team will receive:
- $1,000 project grant
** The Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) is the voice of more than 300 leading food, beverage, and consumer product companies that sustain and enhance the quality of life for hundreds of millions of people in the United States and around the globe. GMA supports the work of Enactus to encourage an entrepreneurial spirit in university students.
Manly Molpus is a trusted and experienced advisor for the CPG industry. He served as President and Chief Executive Officer of GMA from 1990-2006 and as Interim CEO in 2008 and 2009. This scholarship honors his service and continued advocacy for the CPG industry.
***Enactus will pay for all travel related expenses associated with attending the conference for the recipient.
This internship is an exciting opportunity to work with staff at GMA and a chance to network with leaders in the CPG industry.
- The internship is an 8-week term and usually starts late May.
- This is a paid internship. Students, however, are responsible for locating and paying for housing during this internship. (GMA will partner in helping to identify housing options for the recipient.)
- Enactus will pay for the recipient's travel expenses to/from the Annual GMA Leadership Forum.
- During the Leadership Forum, the recipient will also serve as a GMA staff member assisting with the event. Room accommodations will be covered by GMA during your stay as you work the event.
- Be an active member of an Enactus team during the application year.
- Students must be at least a Junior standing at a U.S. college or university to apply.
- Have an interest in pursuing a career in the consumer packaged goods industry.
- Be able to accept a summer internship at GMA Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Applicants will be evaluated based on how effectively they were able to unite their team around a shared purpose. Students should also share examples of how their leadership has elevated the performance of fellow team members and the overall impact achieved by the team. "Leadership" refers to students who have taken on additional responsibilities - not just executive team members. Project leads and other students who have taken on added responsibilities should also apply.
Applicants must submit the following information online:
- Cover page with applicant’s name, name of college/university, graduation date, phone number, e-mail address and the award name.
- Self-nomination letter (two pages maximum) addressing the following two questions:
- How have you encouraged your team members to united around a common goal to elevate the performance of fellow team members and the overall impact of your team? Please provide examples.
- How have your leadership skills/experiences in Enactus changed your life?
- What do you hope to gain through an internship at the Grocery Manufacturers Association? What is your interest in the CPG industry?
- Two reference letters (one page maximum per letter), one from your Enactus Faculty Advisor and one from a fellow teammate, addressing the following question:
- How has the applicant positively influenced their team members to unite around a common goal to elevate the performance of fellow team members and the overall impact of your team? Please provide examples.
Stay tuned for additional details in Fall 2017.
Two GMA staff and at least two Enactus board members will review the applications and select the recipient.