JULES & GWEN KNAPP SCHOLARSHIP
Jules and Gwen Knapp
Jules F. Knapp Biography
Jules F. Knapp is a very successful serial entrepreneur. He started his own paint business, United Coatings, in 1962 and was one of the first paint producers to market to mass merchandisers such as Walmart. In 1994 United Coatings merged with Pratt and Lambert. In 1996 the company was purchased by Sherwin-Williams. In September 2002 Knapp purchased Grisham Manufacturing, a maker of steel security storm doors, and used his entrepreneurial know-how to improve production and customer service, and established a new sales relationship with retail giant Home Depot. Knapp successfully sold Grisham Manufacturing in 2014 and is now devoting more of his time to mentoring new start-ups.
To recognize Enactus student leadership, teamwork and educational achievements.
The recipient of the award will receive a $10,000 scholarship to be used for educational purposes at the college or university he/she is attending on a full-time basis. The recipient will be recognized as the Knapp Scholarship Winner during the following academic year.
NOTE: Selection of the $10,000 scholarship winner is contingent upon receiving applications from qualified candidates. The Knapp family and Enactus reserve the right to withhold the funds if suitable candidates are not identified.
POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Two or more additional $2,500 scholarships may be awarded to eligible students. Students receiving additional scholarships will be recognized as the Knapp Scholarship Finalist during the following academic year.
NOTE: Additional scholarships will be disbursed at the discretion of the Knapp family and Enactus.
To apply for the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship, the candidate must be a U.S. citizen and:
- A sophomore or junior in academic credit hours enrolled in a four-year academic institution with a graduation date no earlier than May 2019
- An active Enactus student on a competing Enactus team
- Have at least a 3.25 GPA or its equivalent
Note: Non-U.S. citizens who have legal permanent residency status in the United States are not eligible to apply for the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship.
- Online application (view sample)
- An official academic transcript
- Letter of recommedation from Enactus Faculty Advisor on official school stationary
- Two additional letters of recommendations from non-family related individuals that can best speak to applicant's professional and personal characteristics and achievements
- One page professional resume
- LinkedIn profile with Enactus experience promptly included
- Online Application Open – September 1, 2017
- Application Deadline – January 22, 2018
- Initial Interview Date Notification – May 1, 2018
- In person interview – May 20, 2018 in Kansas City, MO
- Final results will be announced on stage during Enactus National Exposition on May 21, 2018 in Kansas City, MO
- Scholarships checks will be mailed to all recipients’ respective institutions by June 30, 2018
- A panel of at least two Enactus National Advisory Board members and a representative of Jules and Gwen Knapp will review applications and select a minimum of three finalists
- The finalists will be interviewed in person by the same panel at the Enactus United States National Exposition in May 2018 in Kansas City, MO
- The winner will be announced during the Enactus United States National Exposition in May 2018 in Kansas City, MO and must be present to win