SUMMER LEADERSHIP SERIES PITCH COMPETITION
During the Summer Leadership Series Pitch Competition, sponsored by KPMG, students will develop a project pitch in response to challenges relating to SDG 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth). Students will be placed on cross-university pitch teams made up of 6-10 students. Each pitch team will receive a list of problem statements relating to SDG 8. They will then choose which problem statement they want to focus on and work together to develop a solution. This will involve creating and recording a 3-minute presentation detailing their ideas.
- Students will randomly be placed on a pitch team with Enactus students from other universities
- Must be 18 or over to participate
- Questions about the competition? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each student that fully completes the coursework and competes during the Pitch Competition will receive $50. The checks will be made out to Enactus teams.
PITCH COMPETITION IMPORTANT DATES
- June 9 @ 4:00 PM CST: Mandatory kick-off meeting during which pitch teams will be announced
- June 11 @ 12:30 PM CST: Meet the Mentors
- July 9 @ 5:00 PM CST: Deadline for pitch teams to submit competition materials
- July 14 @ 4:00 PM CST: Announcement of winners
- The level of informal employment is high in many developing countries and reduces worker wages, safety, and benefits. (source https://www.ilo.org/global/topics/dw4sd/themes/informal-economy/lang--en/index.htm)
- Today, many US firms are finding it hard to attract workers with needed skills for good paying jobs leading to lost productivity and income growth (resource: https://www.ced.org/reports/growing-the-american-workforce)
- In the US mothers from under-represented populations are unemployed at a rate that is almost 2x that of white, non-Hispanic women. Pre-pandemic, working mothers were already juggling household and workplace duties. Today, they’re having difficulty navigating paid work. (source: US Census Bureau – Moms and Pandemic).
- Since Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico three years ago, the U.S. territory has suffered greatly. Subsequent natural disasters, an ongoing financial crisis, and now the COVID-19 pandemic have all prevented the island and its residents from making a full recovery. (source: WTTW, Chicago-PBS affiliate – 3 Years After Hurricane Maria)
PITCH COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS
- Attend Summer Leadership Series Kick-Off Meeting on June 9th at 4:00 PM CST
- Meet with pitch team throughout program (6/9 - 7/9) to develop pitch and create presentation materials. Use the syllabus for suggested meeting topics.
- Submission of 3-minute recorded pitch video
- These videos can be as simple as a recorded Zoom meeting or a PowerPoint with voiceover.
- Up to 4 students from your team may speak during the presentation.
- Format: Video must be submitted as an MP4 file. Videos can be compressed to 720p. Video can be no longer than 3 minutes and no larger than 500MB.
- Videos must be emailed to email@example.com by 7/9 at 5:00 PM CST. Depending on file size, these should be sent via sharing platform (Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.).
- Submission of Pitch Canvas
- Rubric click here
- Information on SDG 8
- UN Sustainable Development Goal 8 focuses on the promotion of sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth and full and productive employment and decent work for all. This goal strives to make sure that financial progress creates decent and fulfilling jobs while not harming the environment. You can learn more about SDG 8 here.
We will crown a 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place winner. The Pitch teams will be made up of students from different universities, the respective Enactus teams will each receive an equal portion of the prize money.
- 1st Place Winner: $3,000
- 2nd Place Winner: $2,000
- 3rd Place Winner: $1,000